Monday 9 October 2017

OUGD504- Design pitch

CONTENT:

Misconceptions of Canada: weather; language; location; celebrities; social and firearms

Have a double page spread on each of the misconceptions otherwise the book will be really short and could be considered quite pointless.

Each page will play on the idea of expectation vs reality- what you want to expect from the page but what you get will be the complete opposite.


DESIGN:





Ritta Ikonen, Post
While discussing my ideas for the design and layout with Emma, we looked on Pinterest and came across this publication, instantly we both thought this was great to look at for inspiration as I had an idea in my head of what I wanted the book to look like and this is very close to the image I had in mind. The front cover is very simplistic with only 'POST' in a central position in a capital sans serif font. The content inside the book is primarily imagery of either photographs or findings that have been scanned in, there is a repetitive theme of central composition, therefore the book is more than likely following a grid, something which I want to avoid or break the rules of while designing this book as it is going to be full of misconceptions.





William Edmonds, Words & Pictures
The second publication we came across on Pinterest is quite opposite to the previous in terms of the layout of each page. This is more of what I am intending for the publication because the layout is a lot more random and doesn't seem to follow a consistent rule or grid throughout. The way the text is positioned on each page makes it a lot more interesting and there will obviously be a reasoning behind this. However, as I don't have the book myself I cannot read what the text says on each page in order to understand why they have been set out like this.


Publications found in Village Bookshop
While visiting Village Bookshop, I came across these publications that all had a similar style and similar if not the same binding, the content of each book was completely different but they were all photo books so there was very little or no writing on them at all. Inside the books, I thought the layout was quite interesting because it didn't seem like they stuck to a particular grid system or theme within the book as each of the photographs were laid out differently on each page.



STOCK/BINDING:
Available paper types in the digital print room


Looking at what paper types are available to use in the print room, I think going for a thin-ish matt paper will work best, the book would be retailed between £6-10 so choosing a paper like this will be appropriate for the retail price. There is also a possibility the book could be printed on a newsprint, because the publication is almost a mick take of the typical guide book, this kind of stock may be appropriate to use. However, it may not go with the style of content and imagery.

BINDING:



Possible ideas of book binding that I could try out so see what works best for the publication and what style will suit the book. I could hand stitch the book like the images above, thats the kind of stitching the 'Post' book has, however it would depend on the type of paper I want to print the final booklet out on, I think the stitching would work best on matt paper compared to gloss. If I were to print the publication out on gloss paper then I would prefer to just staple the book together (like the image below) - this will keep the cost of the book down and make it easier to produce a lot more at a faster and more cost effective pace. 




TARGET AUDIENCE CONSIDERATIONS:

Young Adults - the Government of Canada has launched a Millennial Travel Program. It believes that Millennials, also known as people born between 1980-2000, 'are an exciting and growing group of tourists. The number of international youth trips is expected to double by 2020, to 300 million annually.’

The info above is what Emma had wrote on her brief pages therefore this is what I have to go off in terms of target audience. As the target audience of 'young adults' seems quite broad, however it goes on to say its the ages of people born between 1980 and 2000, this makes the age range from 17-37, I would consider the ages 17-25 (at a push) the ages of young adults so this is the gap I am going to focus on most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment